According to Beliefnet.com the 10 largest churches of 2007 in the US are:
1) The Catholic Church (67.5 million)
2) The Southern Baptist Convention (16.3 million)
3) The United Methodist Church (7.9 million)
4) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (5.7 million)
5) The Church of God in Christ (5.5 million)
6) National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. (5 million)
7) Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (4.7 million)
8 ) National Baptist Convention of America (3.5 million)
9) Presbyterian Church (USA) (3 million)
10) Assemblies of God (2.8 million)
The Jehovah’s Witnesses are the fastest growing church with an increase of 2.25% whilst the LDS church had an increase of 1.56%. The Catholic Church had an increase of 0.87% whilst the episcopal church had a decrease of 4.15%.
What are your views on our growth? How does the LDS church compare with other churches over the last year in terms of growth/decline rates? Could our church seek more growth by mirroring JW member missionary involvement? Would this be a good thing? Are Baptists focusing such efforts on Mormons because of our increasing numbers and fairly large US population? Is our growth sustainable or will it plateau do to limited family sizes? Please compare, discuss and give your views.
Where do we go from here?