Last Chance for Niblet Nominations

July 2, 2009
By

Niblet Nominations are now CLOSED.

Enjoy perusing these links over the weekend, and the voting will commence on Monday!

Best big blog:

Mormon Insights
My Religious Blog
Red Brick Store
Seriously So Blessed
Soy Made Me Gay

Best blog layout/graphics:

Dave’s Mormon Inquiry (2008 version)
Millennial Star
Mind, Soul, and Body for the striking photo by Anne Geddes, unknowingly copyrighted, which the author does not have the heart to take down from his completely and totally uncommercial blog.
My Religious Blog

Most memorable comment:

DKL comment #36
DKL speaking to a troll comment #170 and comment #182
Russell Arben Fox comment #54
Ruth comment #72
Ryan comment #19
Steve Evans comment #994 on “Police Beat Roundtable #10”
Steve Evans comment #23

Best humorous post:

Amri Brown’s “Serious Thoughts on the One Exception to the No Facial Hair Rule
Andrew Ainsworth’s “What Children Know
BCC’s Police Beat RoundTable #10
Burgess “Not Your Ordinary Grounds Crew Poetry
Burgess “Yeah, I’m that Poet You Kind of Remember
Burgess “Let the Men wear Sideburns!
Caroline “Ways NOT To Teach About Chastity
David’s “If God Were A Woman
Eric Nielsen’s series on the Secret Life of Earl Johnson
jamesbarjoseph’s “Nothing Wavering
Julie M. Smith’s “What the Smith Boys Said This Year
Kiskilili’s “The Legend of Patriarch Hollow
Mattsby’s “General Conference LOLcats
M*’s April Fool’s Day pages spoofing FMH.
Tamn’s “The Down-There Doc
ZD April Fools — “Renouncing the Philosophies of Women Mingled with Scripture
ZD Sunstone Program Parody
Rebecca J’s

Best Historical post:

Ardis Parshall’s 3 part “Codes and Cyphers in Mormon History” (also nominated “The Childless Ones,” “A Utah War Primer,”
Polynesians in the Desert.”)
Bored in Vernal “Populating Worlds: Joseph Smith’s Legacy
Bored in Vernal’s “A Mormon History Mystery
David’s “Teaching About Racism (Including the Priesthood Ban) in Sacrament Meeting
Dichotomy’s “LDS Gay History Timeline
edje’s series of posts on the Galveston Hurricane of 1900
EmilyCC “Feminist Genealogy
Heidi Harris “The New Woman in Central Utah
Jared T’s “Millions Shall Know Brother Joseph Again
John Hamer “Book of Jasher
Mogget’s modernity and catholicism series
Mormon Heretic’s “Was Priesthood Ban Inspired?”
TT’s “The Terrible 90′s for Mormon Scholarship

AdamF’s “Never Lead Us Astray. And Dissonance
Andrew Ainsworth’s “Elder Wirthlin’s Last Message of Love
Andrew Ainsworth’s “The Ammon Approach
Joe Spencer’s “Jesus Christ, the Divine Redeemer of the World
Julie M. Smith “Is There Another Approach
Kiskilili’s “Fathers are Irreplaceable
Kiskilili’s “Inconclusive musings on gays in eternity
LDS Philosophers two conflicting Paradigms series
Lynnette’s “Repentance as a Response
Lynnette’s “Can Women be Exalted?
Secco’s “Uzzah Killed for Blind Obedience
TT’s “The Future of Heavenly Mother

Best current events post:

Tamn’s “Tamners Goes to Washington
Bryce’s Wall-e post
Jared T. “Summary of the 30th Anniversary Priesthood Commemoration held June 8, 2008 at the Tabernacle
Jupiter’s Child’s “BYU Religion Dean on Premortal Life
Matt B.’s incisive piece of social analysis about Utah and the greatest sport on earth

Best Prop 8/SSM post:

BCC’s Police Beat RoundTable
Caroline’s “What I would Say to my Bishop About Prop 8
Clint Martin’s “How to Support a Same Sex Marriage Ban without Coming off as a Tool
Clint Martin’s “My Secret Gay Agenda

Aaron Shafavoloff from “Mormon Coffee
Andrew from “Irresistible (Dis)Grace
Bridget Jack Meyers from “Clobberblog
Chanson from “Letters From Abroad
Christopher Smith from “Mild Mannered Musings
Todd Wood from “Heart Issues for LDS

Most blatant example of navel-gazing:

Jana’s picture of her belly-button
J. Max Wilson’s “A Critical Look at LDS Blog Portals, Parts 1-4
Lynnette’s “Using Human Reason to Think About God
Ray’s Farewell to the Bloggernacle
Seriously So Blessed
Nominating self for every Niblet Award: Steve Evans
What Mormons Like
Ziff’s Nacle numbers posts

Best contribution to the Bloggernacle in 2008:

Tracy M’s intimate and candid details of her struggle with her husband’s unemployment.
Beginnings New, intelligent and meaningful helps for YW leaders
Today in the Bloggernacle / Bloggernacle Back Bench (Emily Jensen)
The addition of JA Benson at M*
John Hamer’s “The Miraculous Plates of Voree Examined
DKL’s political coverage
BCC’s Police Beat RoundTable
All the fun and laughs over at Myregisblog
PoliticaLDS

Write-in category:

Most Missed: Mormon Stories
Most bewildering to people with no sense of irony: Seriously So Blessed
Who I wish would blog more often — Ashley Sanders at Project Deseret
Funniest Thread: In the Colonies the Stormtroopers are Starting to Lay Down the Law
Best chronicler of otherwise forgotten Mormon’s from history: Ardis Parshall at Keepapitchinin for her continuing stories of ordinary church members in often difficult circumstances.
Most Useful Blog: LDS Science Review
Best Numbers Crunching: Ziff
Best doctrinal blogger – Joe Spencer @ Feast Upon the Word blog.
Funniest post tile: “For I was an hungered, and ye shot me” (Kris Wright at BCC)
The blog with the most humble bloggers and commentators: M*
Best and most unique contributions to a discussion of presiding: the Three Weird Sisters, With Beards poetry (see comments #64 and #76)
Best Sideblog: By Common Consent
Best sidebar linksters: Marc Bohn and Kent Larsen
Unsung Hero: Doc

Tags:

47 Responses to Last Chance for Niblet Nominations

1. July 1, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Most Memorable Comment:
    Steve Evans #23
    Ruth #72

If I thought I had done anything worthwhile in the last year I’d nominate myself for something. I’m not especially humble, but I’ve not been an especially good blogger either.

2. July 1, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Readers have nominated multiple posts by Andrew and Lynnette and me and possibly others, putting each of us in competition with ourselves in some categories. Rather than splitting votes among loyal readers, how about letting us choose which we would like to have represent us? If you will consider that, I choose “Codes and Ciphers in Mormon History” in the “Best Historical Post” category and ask that the others be deleted, with thanks to those who nominated them.

3. July 1, 2009 at 4:22 pm

arJ.
    So glad you didn’t break your promise. (#73)

4. July 1, 2009 at 4:23 pm

More self-promotion for best humorous post: M*’s April Fool’s Day pages spoofing FMH.

5. July 1, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Let’s see…to get some underdogs in here…

Best group blog:
    New Cool Thang [http://www.newcoolthang.com/]
    Mormon Metaphysics [http://www.libertypages.com/cgw/]

Nicest “evil villain”: I second chanson (in case we need secondings)
    but I have to also put my own name in the hat: Andrew S.

Best Mitt Romney post: gonna have to put my own name into the hat again: “Why Mitt Romney got Romney’d in the Election” [http://irresistibledisgrace.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/why-mitt-romney-got-romneyd-in-the-election/]

6. July 1, 2009 at 5:09 pm

To the Niblet ringmaster: While I’m flattered that DMI (the Typepad site) was nominated under Best Solo Blog, I’d like to withdraw DMI from that category as I have not posted any new material there since about October 2008 (posts after Oct. 2008 are just archived posts from other sites). However, I’m happy to leave it in the “Best Layout/Graphics” category, as I did a major template overhaul to the site a couple of months ago.

7. July 1, 2009 at 5:10 pm

OK, Ardis, we can do that, but we’ll have to do it here in the comments, since I don’t know how to track down some of these people. If any of the following would like to choose one of your multiple posts to represent you in the category, thus giving you a better chance for the win, speak now!

*Burgess in the “Best Humorous Post” category
    *Bored in Vernal in the “Best Historical Post” category
    *Andrew Ainsworth in the “Best Spiritual Post” category
    *Andrew Ainsworth in the “Best Doctrinal Post” category
    *Lynnette in the “Best Doctrinal Post” category
    *Kiskilili in the “Best Doctrinal Post” category
    *Clint Martin in the “Best Prop 8/SSM Post” category

8. July 1, 2009 at 5:14 pm

DMI Dave:
    Did you notice??
    These are the 2008 Niblets. 2009 Niblets yet to come.
    Do you still wish to withdraw?

9. Hawkgrrrl
    July 1, 2009 at 5:21 pm

DMI Dave, humility’s great and all, but the people have spoken. Can you really disappoint your adoring public?

10. Holden Caulfield
    July 1, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Thanks for all of the links…..I feel like I’ve been given manna….don’t have to search for things to read for quite a while.

11. Steve Evans
    July 1, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I am very, very glad that the BCC Sidebar got a mention. Statistically, it is the most popular aspect of our site.

Also, thanks for the love re: Police Beat Roundtable. Not sure how many more of those we have left in us, but it’s been fun.

I’d like to nominate Kevinf as best commenter. Consistently kind and commonsensical.

12. July 1, 2009 at 6:31 pm

My own Mitt post: [http://www.deadseriously.net/2008/02/4-reasons-this-mormon-is-glad-mitt-quit.html]

Best Solo/Best New Blog: MyReligiousBlog.com (it’s criminal that it got no nominations)

13. hawkgrrrl
    July 1, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I just want to add my endorsement of Police Beat Roundtable. That was sheer comic genious. Also, if you loved “The Down-There Doc,” you’ll really love this OP from The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/renowned_hoo_ha_doctor_wins_nobel

14. July 1, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Does someone want to hazard a guess as to Rebecca’s most humorous post at FMH?

15. July 1, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I would like to put in a nomination for Seth R. for best commenter.

16. TT
    July 1, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I have a bunch of nominations in your spam catcher.

17. July 1, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I would also like to say that there is no way in hell Todd Wood is a better wolf in sheep’s clothing than I am. Everyone knows what Todd is, but people trust me to the extent that I’m guest-blogging at the #2 blog in the Bloggernacle.

Soon I will shed my sheepish disguise and begin feasting on your tasty, tasty Mormon flesh.

18. July 1, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I second Jack. She’s lulling everyone into a carnal sense of security, so to speak, and That One Guy Who Left T&S In A Huff called here out as a veritable “albino anti”

albino like a vampire who feasts on tasty, tasty Mormon flesh.

19. July 1, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Andrew, your comment made me giddy.

20. Hawkgrrrl
    July 1, 2009 at 11:16 pm

TT et al – I’ve checked the spamcatcher (like a suncatcher but full of nude celebrities instead of sunlight), and I believe everything legit has been freed up. Please let us know if otherwise!

21. July 1, 2009 at 11:42 pm

I think TT’s nominations were in the spamcatcher on the initial Niblets thread (and his nominations there aren’t reflected in the nomination lists above).

Also, I do have a question. In the past, blogs that were nominated for the best big blog weren’t eligible for the best group blog category, since this would give smaller blogs a chance to win (with the rationale that any big blog would win the group blog category as well because they’re bigger and have more fans). I’m fine with things either way (I’m not trying to cause any problems). But if you’re letting blogs nominated for the big blog category also be nominated for best group blog, you should probably make it clear, since this is not how things were done in the past. My guess is that some of the bigger blogs like FMH would have been nominated for best group blog, otherwise. Or, you should keep things consistent with past years to eliminate confusion.

22. Kaimi
    July 2, 2009 at 12:43 am

TT,

That’s what happens when you nominate texas-holdem.com and hot-naked-ladies.com for best blogs. Try taking those ones out and resubmitting.

23. July 2, 2009 at 1:24 am

hey! texas-holdem.com is a great historical blog about that polygamist sect’s base in texas.

it was def. the hot-naked-ladies one.

24. July 2, 2009 at 2:37 am

You might as well throw in a couple more for “nicest evil villain”:

Christopher Smith from “Mild Mannered Musings”
    Bridget Jack Meyers from “Clobberblog”
    Andrew from “Irresistible (Dis)Grace”
    Todd Wood from “Heart Issues for LDS”

Chanson is a nice pick, but at least make it a vote.

25. July 2, 2009 at 5:26 am

Thank you, Seraphine, the panel is taking that under advisement.

26. July 2, 2009 at 5:40 am

Sorry you were overlooked, TT, think I got them all now.

27. Ray
    July 2, 2009 at 6:23 am

Catching up, but –

Amen, to #2 and #4. The April Fool’s Day spoof was epic, and we really shouldn’t have to split votes for Ardis – or anyone else who wants to choose one of their nominated posts.

28. Ray
    July 2, 2009 at 6:27 am

Holden, if we’re encouraging self-promotion (like that’s an “if” – *grin*), I link to great posts from the Bloggernacle archives each Tuesday and Thursday on my own blog (thingsofmysoul.blogspot.com). There are more than a few dozen exceptional posts linked there, if you want to check them out.

29. Holden Caulfield
    July 2, 2009 at 8:50 am

Thanks, Ray. I’ll check it out. It’s much better when others do the cooking and all you have to do is eat.

30. July 2, 2009 at 9:35 am

Batman: wow, timewarp. Yes, withdraw DMI from the 2008 Best Solo category. I think I got it in 2007. One of the other fine solo blogs deserves the recognition and fame that comes with a Niblet.

31. Banned Commenter
    July 2, 2009 at 9:45 am

Best Mitt Romney Post — My post on his ancestry (“Forget polygamy …”) should be withdrawn. It was originally published at T&S in February 2007, although it shows up with a 2008 date after I transferred it to Keepa. Nice to know it was memorable!

32. July 2, 2009 at 9:46 am

{sigh} Okay. I’m outed.

33. Hunter
    July 2, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I nominated one of Ardis’ less-favorite posts (I nominated “Utah War Primer). For the sake of giving her a chance at winning something, I’m happy to have you take it out in favor of her preferred nomination (re codes/ciphers).

Cool that?

34. Ray
    July 2, 2009 at 3:30 pm

A lurker just asked me to nominate the following post from my personal blog for the Prop 8 post. Yes, Ma’am. :)

“Proposition 8 and the Presidency: A Week of Reviling” (I am having a problem with the link, so go to my blog and find it in the labels under “reviling” or in the calendar list for November 7, 2008. – That alone probably should disqualify it. *grin*)

35. July 2, 2009 at 3:41 pm

If the goal is to win then I can certainly see the logic in removing nominated posts. However if the goal is to make a list of what was great in 2008 to use as a resource for those that appreciate a “best of the bloggernacle” type of list, then removing posts from the list of nominations is something of a crime. Personally I don’t care who wins, I like to read the stuff that gets nominated.

36. July 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Why are the big blog and group blog categories overlapping? Seems like they should be different categories to me. (Although you might have trouble figuring out which blogs belong under the “big” category)

37. Ray
    July 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm

arJ has an excellent point. Perhaps a compromise would work:

If a particular author has multiple posts in a category, and if the total votes for those posts is greater than or equal to the “winner”, we declare co-winners.

Thoughts?

38. July 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm
  39. Brother Matsby
    July 2, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Hi. Not to be a jerk or anything. But could I withdraw My Religious Blog from the Write In category “Funniest blog not named seriouslysoblessed”?

Other than that, I thank you all for the kind nominations.

40. moksha
    July 2, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Anyone have a link for Andrew Ainsworth’s Dark Night of My Soul?

Thanks

41. hawkgrrrl
    July 2, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Dark Night of the Soul was marked private and is not available for viewing at this time.

42. July 3, 2009 at 2:10 am

In history, I nominate Jared T’s brilliant dismantling of S. Michael Tracy’s “Millions Shall Know Brother Joseph Again,” the first part of which is here, as well as Christopher’s useful and important thoughts on Mormonism’s place in American historiography here, and David’s Teaching About Racism (Including the Priesthood Ban) in Sacrament Meeting, here.

43. July 3, 2009 at 2:27 am

I would like to nominate for best group blog A Motley Vision (http://www.motleyvision.org/) and The Red Brick Store (http://theredbrickstore.com/).

44. March 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

Every woman likes of Burberry bags , if you have not it , then quickly have it .you can enter my web :http://www.burberryukbags.org